John Barrett writes:

> Norman Vine writes
> >
> > Please - remember FGFS is not a flat earth system
>
> whatever works -- if the computation gets too intense, it can always be
> handled periodically (every 60-120 seconds perhaps) and keep a list of
> entities for which we are interested in their updates -- entity IDs are
> going to be 32 bit integers, so we wont be hitting memory all that hard even
> with 100s of planes in the air -- or even reverse it -- each entity keeps a
> list of entities to which it will send updates -- list updated
> periodically -- then we dont have to walk the list of entities looking for
> those that are interested

Or perhaps use an appropriate global tesselation that just happens to
make finding all entities within some distance trivial by just checking
those buckets that are within the distance criteria. Then by just keeping
track of which bucket all entities are in the operation is just a trivial check
of the pertinent buckets lists :-)

This mechanism would be useful for *many* related lookups and is
an elegant solution to the spherical distance query. < it just happens
to be similar to what is used in several actively pursued star search
projects which have the exact same *heavily* researched problem
albeit an inverted manifestation >

AFAIK all such tesselations are built from either (1) spherical triangular
facets or (2) their mathematical dual the corresponding spherical 'dirchlet'
or 'vornoi' tesselation.  There are several papers desribing these and
other global grids at the link I posted recently in the
 Re: [Flightgear-devel] Some thoughts and ideas (LONG) thread

trying-to-practice-what-Columbus-proved'ly yr's

Norman