----- Original Message -----
From: "Norman Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 6:28 PM
Subject: RE: [Flightgear-devel] Multiplayer Server RFC -- Current Status

> John Barrett writes:
> >
> > If each client instance specified "I'm only interested in events which
> > happen within 20deg of my current position" (use a square around current
> > lat/lon offset by the range specified, rather than circular) -- should
be
> > very fast for the server to do that check before forwarding data to a
given
> > client
>
> Please - remember FGFS is not a flat earth system so get rid of the
degrees
> and the square degree block concepts, as these are very inefficient and
inaccurate
> when operating on a sphere.
>
> Position is an ECF vector and distance can be degrees of arc if you
insist, but
> 'chord distance' is a one to one mapping and is *much* quicker to compute.

http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/Scenery/CoordinateSystem/CoordinateSystem.html

whatever works -- if the computation gets too intense, it can always be
handled periodically (every 60-120 seconds perhaps) and keep a list of
entities for which we are interested in their updates -- entity IDs are
going to be 32 bit integers, so we wont be hitting memory all that hard even
with 100s of planes in the air -- or even reverse it -- each entity keeps a
list of entities to which it will send updates -- list updated
periodically -- then we dont have to walk the list of entities looking for
those that are interested