John Barrett writes:

> If each client instance specified "I'm only interested in events which
> happen within 20deg of my current position" (use a square around current
> lat/lon offset by the range specified, rather than circular) -- should be
> very fast for the server to do that check before forwarding data to a given
> client

Please - remember FGFS is not a flat earth system so get rid of the degrees
and the square degree block concepts, as these are very inefficient and inaccurate
when operating on a sphere.

Position is an ECF vector and distance can be degrees of arc if you insist, but
'chord distance' is a one to one mapping and is *much* quicker to compute.

http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/Scenery/CoordinateSystem/CoordinateSystem.html

Norman