Josh Babcock wrote

> Or just have a command that creates an object at a certain
> point with a
> certain velocity vector and orientation.
> Josh
>
> Erik Hofman wrote:
>
> > Andy Ross wrote:
> >
> >> Running it under a separate "FDM" handler is something
> that the C++
> >> code just doesn't support yet, though. It's probably not hugely
> >> difficult to make work, though.
> >

> > Thinking about:
> >
> > 1. inherit the main FDM's moments and forces
> > 2. transpose them to the appropriate location.
> > 3. Use that as the initial values for your ballistic FDM.
> >
> > Erik

I've just done some proof-of-principle work on drop tanks with YASim. I set
up some weight elements for the pylons and for the dry weight of the tanks,
and some fuel tanks to match. My plan was to set the drop tank and the fuel
they contain to zero on jettison, leaving the pylons in situ.  The good news
is that that YASim continues to converge, so I'm over the first hurdle.
However, the bad news is that I can't set _one_ of the drop tank weights to
zero (odd that), and none of the tank fuel contents. I was planning to use
keys j/J/CTRLJ for jettison inner/outer/all.

I can do a work around for the tanks - using the same weight twice - and
that will do for now, but I won't be able in the future to simulate an
asymmetric situation in the event of one tank failing to separate. I also
need to be able to hand off the remaining contents of the fuel to the drop
tank on jettison when we have a child fdm in addition to the items listed
above.

Am I adopting the right approach? If I am, then I conclude that there is no
point in proceeding further unless I can set the tank contents to zero. With
that enabled I can produce a reasonable simulation pending the
implementation of a child fdm in YASim. I haven't been able to tackle JBSim
yet.

Advice would be welcome.

As a matter of interest, the list of controls list 'armament controls'. Are
these implemented? If they are, then it would make sense to use them to
control drop tanks. But it's no problem if they aren't.

Regards

Vivian Meazza