--- John Denker wrote:
> On 07/11/2007 11:48 AM, Robert Black wrote:
<snip>

> > of
> > quickly sending and responding to messages like a push button UI
> having the
> > ATIS, departure procedure et.. for the controller and the replies for
> the
> > pilot such as  $callsign_affirmative, negative  et..   It could just
> be the
> > UI with common things built in and the rest as user files that could
> be
> > tailored by the user or groups of users.
>
> Why text?
>
> ATIS already comes over the audio.  Wouldn't audio be the appropriate
> channel for clearances etc?
>
> The audio -- in particular the text-to-speech -- is definitely in need
> of improvement.  I'm thinking that's where the emphasis should be,
> rather
> than spending too much effort on textual presentations.

Melchior wrote some nice enhancements to the tutorial system that might be
of use here. Specifically, a given piece of message text that is to be
displayed on the screen and sent to the TTS engine can contain alternative
phrases for the TTS engine, so that the user sees "Runway 36" and the TTS
engine plays "Runway three six" rather than "runway thirty six".

As Robert indicates, one of the big challenges for using audio for
clearances etc. is getting the pilot's input into the system. A menu
system seems the most appropriate way forward.

With a bit of effort, I think it could integrate into an automated ATC
service that recognizes standard phrases, delivers clearances etc. Such a
service should be able to run as a standalone app connected to the MP
system so everyone can benefit even when there is no active human ATC.

Of course, we already have automated ATC within the sim, but IIRC it
doesn't integrate with the TTS.

Somewhat off-topic, I think there are probably a couple of other things
that could be integrated into the MP environment as completely stand-alone
apps. For example, what about a machine generating AI traffic directly to
the MP network?

-Stuart