On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Jari Häkkinen wrote:

For multiplayer, could the mp servers simply decide the settings from
real weather and all MP players has to accept the settings and make the
appropriate approaches? What is the level of realism to expect in
multiplayer mode? Is it naive to expect that most users will land/start
in the proper direction in multiplayer mode?

Currently the mpservers are really simple creatures - they know only where the players are and know absolutely nothing about weather or even time of day. They simply provide a information propagation service. I would prefer to keep it that way (the information propagation can certainly be made more efficient, though).

From a user perspective there may very well be good reasons for not complying with the "real" world state (and hence fly in a slightly different world) but still enjoy being connected to MP. E.g. I switch off real weather if the current weather doesn't allow VFR and I also often offset the time of day since I want to fly in daylight, though my job prevents me from using FlightGear during that time of the day.

If the active runway is selected based on the (in sim) weather users that team up for a realistic session can either all use real weather fetch or agree on a weather setting to have a reasonably uniform environment.

One can also imagine letting the tower aircraft emitting information about active runway and serviceable nav aids and other users could choose to have these settings applied to their local environment. Such a thing could be implemented today by the methods used in dual-control and wildfire. (However, further development of the MP protocol can make all of them more efficient.)

Cheers,

Anders
Anders Gidenstam
WWW: http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/