> Once you understand how the scattering integrals work it's natural to
> compute  them also from the outside of the atmosphere.

Okay, now I am *really* confused. Are we trying to solve the same problem?

Light scattering in the atmosphere is not part of what Earthview does at all.
That is currently solved by the scattering part of the skydome shader Lauri has
originally written (and which I have modified to include a haze layer and
lightfields), this shader works inside the atmosphere and reasonably well
outside of it (apart from a few quirks).

Earthview is about getting a model of the planet itself into the scene, sort of
replacing the default terrain tile system. It assumes that you have already
solved the atmosphere scattering problem somehow and that you want to see a
pale blue marble textured globe beneath you, surrounded by a cloudsphere.

Apart from the fact that both somehow have to do with spaceflight, there
doesn't seem to be any overlap at all?!

* Thorsten