Hi,

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 08:15:54 Renk Thorsten wrote:
> > Once you understand how the scattering integrals work it's natural to
> > compute  them also from the outside of the atmosphere.
>
> Okay, now I am *really* confused. Are we trying to solve the same problem?
I think so.

> Light scattering in the atmosphere is not part of what Earthview does at
> all. That is currently solved by the scattering part of the skydome shader
> Lauri has originally written (and which I have modified to include a haze
> layer and lightfields), this shader works inside the atmosphere and
> reasonably well outside of it (apart from a few quirks).
But it should. You will get the halo around the earth by that. Thats just the
same. Also if done right you just get all the altitudes in between for free
correct too. Not only correct but really impressive ...

> Earthview is about getting a model of the planet itself into the scene, sort
> of replacing the default terrain tile system. It assumes that you have
> already solved the atmosphere scattering problem somehow and that you want
> to see a pale blue marble textured globe beneath you, surrounded by a
> cloudsphere.
Well, that is probably what you call cloudsphere. These are just the
scattering integrals ...

Oh, the whole world model is already there.
There is the spt model loader that provides this. Load w180s90-360x180.spt
with fgviewer. That just happens when you call fgviewer without model (I
believe, since I have a much further developed version here). You need to
provide a property config that completely switches off shaders to see something
useful. But well, that's all in an early state...
This even works with different altitudes in between. The lod scales in between
need to be improoved. But this will happen gradually I think.

> Apart from the fact that both somehow have to do with spaceflight, there
> doesn't seem to be any overlap at all?!
Well, it does. :)

Mathias