On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
> Wow, this looks pretty good! Why are there buildings on the street though -
> isn't that a different landclass?

That's a bug in the placement algorithm - the buildings shouldn't
extend past the edges of the city landclass.
I'm planning to fix that before checking it into git.

> Does this have to an US-style rectangular street grid, or can we come up with
> an algorithm to draw
> more European-style street patterns (I think an adaption of the Markov chains
> I've been using for the
> undulatus cloud patterns might do the trick)?

The current city textures are US-style rectangular street grids.
Placement and rotation of the buildings
uses the terrain-masking, where a second texture is used as a mask for
placement and rotation.

If you have a more European city texture, it would take ~1hr to create
a suitable mask (the difficult bit is
mentally converting the rotation in degrees into a 0-256 colour value!).

Note also that changes I made to the materials.xml loading a couple of
months ago so that any
<condition> tags on the material definition are evaluation at tile
structure would make it very easy to apply such a texture/mask to just
European cities.

-Stuart