> Btw - with the recent GIT, I now get Rembrandt working with --prop:/sim/
> rendering/no-16bit-buffer=true in the commandline and a shadow map no
> larger than 4096x4096. I'm getting ~9-10 fps out at KSFO, about 14 in
> low  vertex count situations like TNCM or a carrier - is that in the
> expected range?

Let me correct you: not the vertice count is the bottleneck in Rembrandt and
FlightGear- but objects number!

Test it yourself:
- create a simple cube in Blender (8 vertices)
- duplicate in Object mode several times ( I did it around 1000x times!)
So we have a model containing a large number of objects and 8000 vertices all
about.
- save it as .ac
- used the ufo and replaced the UFO-model with the new object, and start
FlightGear in Rembrandt mode

Then I used the same model, but joined all 1000 objects together, so  got a
model with just one object but still 8000 vertices.

I started at Kufstein/ LOIK with the CustomScenery provided by Christian
Schmidt, detailed scenery but away from LOWI.

The One-Object-model gave me full framerate of 60fps, the 1000 Objects model
gave me about 20 and less....

And thats one reason why LOWI or other aircraft are quite difficult for some.
They contain a lot of models. But each model is splitted up into several
objects. Some are need for animation, but a lot not.

Especially aircraft with complex cockpits and detailed instruments, especially
digital displays not made using 2d-layers, naturally uses a lot of objects,
which will then slow down.

Of course such instruments doesn't need to cast shadows. So there will be
another speed up when Fred is able to get back the <no shadows>-tag.

And there is something else which can help:
Fred made the shadows-cascade configurable at runtime. Not only you can improve
the shadow quality with (smaller edges so it looks quite sharp)at close
distance, you can also set the overall distance of the shadows with.

I'm sure Fred can tell us a bit more about, but I found it already very
helpfull!

Cheers
Heiko

P.S. Sorry, the <no subject> posting by me was made accidently- to quick
hitting the button.

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html