Gabriel L Romeu wrote:

Short preliminary remark: I try to shorten the quotes strictly.
But I feel a little resitance to split the posting.
Splitting philosophy... :-)
Of course, feel free to complain about, and I (we?) will follow your
wishes.

[We have both - inch and meter]

I suppose I'm a metric guy through and through.
When I get confronted with measures in inch, I have to think and
calculate in my head.
May be it is like some people talk about learning a language: when you
begin to dream in it, you got it. Before it's just translation.

[sharpening]

I completly agree with you. It is a great pleasure to cut shavings.
No dust, no noise. Only this nice sound "sirrr".
And the transparent curly shaving full of the pleasant smell of resin.
There are few [1] wonderful things like this for me.

[own ideas are probably derivative ideas]

[recontextualize timewise and material]

Good example.

[elementary particles of morphology, function and beauty]

> postmodern thought...reconsidered today...find abstraction in
> even the 'sofa paintings'....quest for a universal 'beauty'....reduction
> to simplicity...without regard for the human element....Constructivists
> ... also in search of the universal...beauty...eliminating cultural referents
> Kolmar and Melmine...paintings...only Netherlands agree...awful...skin
> boat particularly beautiful

Interesting comments. I don't know much about postmodernism and
construktivism to contribute something valuable here.

>> "interbeeing"...

> ...our thought processes require us to make comparisons, contrasts and
> reductions to essentially categorize and make clear.

And then our thought process oscillates to his other possibility: tie
together, realize connections, compose...

[...]

>> [James Krenov] His manner is a kind of iterative.

> which is a very honest analysis.

In my opinion he's a very authentic person.

> It can expedite a process sometimes.  Eliminates the re-invention of the
> wheel so to speak.

I agree absolutetly, that learning does not mean _just_ make your own
experiences. But one should cross the point of just believing or
imitating let's say by verifying a sufficient number of teachings.
You could call it "deep understanding". By head and hand.

[Learning by listening to the "melody" of powertools]

Nice additonal example.

[incorporate torsion based construction into construction of a folder]

[description]
Thank you Gabriel. I did not got all the details of the construction,
because of some difficult to translate technical phrases.
Marian or Ralph, would you be so kind to help me in this little
paragraph?

[my work at "Mecklenburger Seenplatte"]

> Sounds wonderful.

And looks and feels. :-)

[a bed of planks of an old house]

> Was this a conceptual consideration in the design of the piece?

Unspectacular. Just to keep excellent wood of the rubbish dump and to
transform it into something agreedable was the intention.
The form: organic, nothing sharp to touch. Full of curves,
depressions, wholes... Some of my friends associated a wave into the
form, others diving women, underwater plants... Linseed oil and a wax
mixture gave a good feeling for hands touching the wood. Fingers could
go onto a journey.
I used only handtools to made it and no sketch. Most important tool
for the curves was a convex spokeshave (which is one of my favorite
tools anyway).

The rest of the more private points of the conversation comes as an
email.

Regards, Andreas

[1] talking about them would catapult us totally OT :-)