Hi,

On Tue, 23 May 2017, Martin Frb wrote:

> Or maybe they haven't forgotten how nice and simple svn is.

Erm, I really don't want to be involved in the usual religious war,
personally I use exclusively Git these days (for personal stuff), but I
don't mind SVN, CVS, or whatever a project uses I'm working on. But.

> Git just doesn't do KISS.

You need an SVN server to start working with SVN. With Git, you go to a
directory, do "git init" and start committing. Everything is local. Not
sure how that's not KISS. (You can add a remote later, and then push to
it, with the full history intact. This remote can even be an SVN repo.)

Also, you retain the full commit history locally, so you don't need access
to the server to get logs, get diffs, etc. Ever tried to work on a project
hosted in a centralized VCS, while on a 10 hour plane flight with no
internet? Or travelling in another country, where your roaming doesn't
work?

Also, ever tried to do partial commits in SVN? (Not committing all the
changes in a single file.) (git add --patch)

Also, ever tried to just make clean build of trunk quickly in SVN then
reapply your local, not committed changes? Or try your local changes
on another branch without committing them? (git stash)

Agreed, Git adds some complexity due to it's distributed nature, and
because you don't have nice monotonously increasing revision numbers. But
seriously, it makes a billion things much simpler and easier in exchange,
especially if one learns to exploit its features for the everyday
workflow. It's a tool to manage your source code, even *before* you commit
your changes. While SVN is still seen and used by many people as some kind
of "incremental source backup". And indeed, it's barely useable for
anything more, if we're honest.

But as I said, I'm fine with $whatever VCS, I'm not forcing anyone. Heck I
still see great software developed in CVS or even without any VCS (that's
quite extreme tho', admitted), because no tool can replace a great
developer. But great developers know how to make their own life easier. ;)

My 2 cents,
--
Charlie