On 23/05/17 14:00, Marco van de Voort wrote:
In our previous episode, Graeme Geldenhuys said:> As with any new applications or technologies,
there is always some > learning curve (big or small). There are tons of bad habits ingrained in
> SVN users. Those do not translate well to Git (thank goodness). Git > works fundamentally
different to SVN (for the better). So you need a > change in mindset - some refuse, hence they
struggle with Git. And then > wrongly blame Git for it. I fear this is most likely what happened
with > Florian.
That is your very colored view about it, that automatically declaresnon-gits
stupid.
However in the last discussion we showed you various faqs (like from LLVMand
FreeBSD) that mirrored the FPC core teams.

One question if I may. Subversion has revision numbers like 12345, and it's comparatively easy to query that and build it into a piece of software's version information. It's also trivial for a developer to look at the revision that he's currently working with, to say whether it's older or newer than revision 12345, and to get a log of what the relative changes were by /only/ knowing the revision number.

Now I don't deny for a moment that Git has its advantages for distributed working. But am I correct in my understanding that it has nothing that maps directly onto the monotonic revision list of traditional VCSs including Subversion?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk