Alex,

All testing is worthwhile ...  the client you have that gets the 425
error messages made me suspicious that I was losing socket data
structures, and after 3 days of testing I was able to confirm that was
happening.

The bug is simple - if there is a data connection already open and the
PASV mode port changes, you have to close the existing data connection
*and* recycle the socket.  I missed the second part in a few cases, and
that bug has been in there a while.  Most clients can't cause this in
normal operation; I had to force the error using raw FTP commands and
breaking normal sequences.

So while I can't reproduce your problem exactly, I know it or something
like it is causing me to leak sockets.  I'll plug the leak, and you are
the winner of the beer for this round of testing ...  The 425 messages
might not disappear (yet), but at least the server won't leak a socket
each time it happens.

Excellent!

Mike