On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 21:13:59 -0500, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com>
wrote:

> I can think of only 2 ways an engineer can get those speeds out of a
> serial device.
> A very fast clock or big external buffers. I think DOS could handle a
> fast clock

It is a very fast clock, 1.5 GHz and beyond. It uses differential
signaling (two wires to transmit one bit) which is less vulnerable to
noise.

The IDE interface could not run at such a high frequency because it uses
5V TTL signaling, like an old motherboard bus (or parallel printer port).
Except where a motherboard has multiple layers with a ground plane and
whatnot to control noise, a ribbon cable doesn't. The 80-conductor ribbon
cables have extra ground wires to improve signal integrity and allowed the
speed to increase from 16.6MHz (ATA 33) to 66MHz (ATA 133). The original
speed for the IDE interface was 1.66MHz (PIO 0).

Hypothetically, they could have used high-speed differential signaling AND
a connector with multiple bits in parallel for even more speed. This is
basically what a PCI-express graphics slot is.

> but if they use buffers; DOS may not know how to use them like windows or
> Linux.
> I never used SATA so I can't say. You would be in good position to know.
> As far as formating an SD chip; sometimes the format gets corrupted and
> you need
> to redo it. DOS just doesn't do well on the big stuff; no problem ever
> with cf chips.

The DOS format utility is kind of an anachronism at this point. Usually it
takes a long time to format a partition because it's iterating through
every sector of the disk. It's completely unnecessary these days. All it
really needs to do is write a boot sector, FAT, and root directory.