On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:
> Tranferings 1 bit at a time is always slower than 8 bits at a time.
> if the clock stays the same for both. How SATA beats this
> is something I don't understand. SATA doesn't have seperate
> handshaking outputs so handshkes have to travel the same serial lines.
> Quit a feat of engineering there.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Did you stop learning about the technology once you learned enough
about DOS to do what you wanted?  A lot of what you post here seems to
be based on 25 year old ideas about how this stuff works.  The
technology has progressed a bit, and you seem to be making assumptions
that may not be true for current hardware and OSes.

> When I try to format very large SD chips with DOS; the software just gives
> up. Small sd
> chips do format but slowly. Large CF chips format in a few seconds.

That's an OS and old hardware issue,  It's not inherent to SD.

And it's not clear why you would *need* to format an SD card of any
size.  Depending on volume size, they come formatted as FAT16 or
FAT32.  I've formatted them for other reasons, like using a Linux ext3
file system or NTFS.  I put the card into an SD adapter and do the
format from my desktop machine.  It's quite quick, thanks.

> cheers
> DS..
______
Dennis