On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Dave Kerber
<dker...@warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote:

>> > To a certain extent it is.  SD has a slower interface than CF does.
>> > That's why all high-end cameras use CF rather than SD cards.
>>
>> I don't think they all do, and there is certainly a lot of animated
>> discussion on photography site about which is better.  CF seems to get
>> the nod for potentially higher read/write speeds, especially when
>> shooting video and the concern is whether the storage media can keep
>> up with the data to be stored.
>
> Yes, there is certainly some overlap between the two media.  The newest SD
> cards are faster than the older CF cards.  It also becomes a big issue
> with fast frame-per-second still cameras when people are shooting bursts.
> At the high end, that is a far higher data rate than video is (280MBps and
> up for the newer Canons).

The distinction seems to be the intended market.  Cameras aimed at
consumers will have SD cards.  Cameras aimed at pros will favor CF.

And form factor is an issue: the small point-and-shoot units aimed at
consumers will use SD because an SD card is smaller than a CF card.
They couldn't make the camera that small if it used CF.  In addition,
the consumer camera is increasingly a cell phone with built in camera.
The same factors apply even more.  (My Android tablet has a 32GB
*micro* SD card, again, because it's smaller and takes less space in
the device.)

SD cards have been steadily increasing in speed, driven in part by the
need to keep up with the volume of data being stored by cameras.  I
bought a PNY SD card for use in a PDA years back, and did a bit of
benchmarking.  I had cards from Lexar Media, SanDisk, and a few other
brands.  The PNY card had comparable read speeds with the other
brands, but *write* speeds an order of magnitude slower than any of
the others.  I almost aborted a benchmark thinking the device had
hung, when in fact the test was still running.  A contact elsewhere
commented on similar behavior from a Kingston card.  As it happened,
both PNY and Kingston used flash media sourced fro Toshiba.  (The
Lexar Media cards that had the best benchmark sores sourced media from
Panasonic.)  I have no idea what was different about the Toshiba media
to cause that disparity, and I was amused because the PNY was being
sold for use in cameras, where keeping up with shutter presses was
presumably an issue.

I decided to simply buy SanDisk, who made the media they used, rather
than worrying about who the vendor might have sourced from and whether
it would be an issue,

>> I have never seen it being an issue in the sort of usage
>> talked about here.
>
> I can't comment on that; I have no experience with it.

I do, to some extent, and can.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519