On 12/3/2014 12:58 PM, dmccunney wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/2/2014 6:33 AM, Dale E Sterner wrote:
>>> FAT16 is limited to 8 gigs but FAT32 goes much higher. I kinda remember
>>> Wikopedia saying 2T but could easily be wrong.
>>>
>> Excuse me?
>> FAT16 is limited to 2 (two) Gigabyte with the 'standard" maximum cluster
>> size of 32KB.
> IIRC, the 32K maximum cluster size was a limitation in the format utility.
Nope. You can't access a 64K cluster size FAT16 partition with DOS (or
any other FAT16 aware OS other than Windows NT4.0 and Windows 2000)
either...

>> With the 64GB cluster size supported by Windows NT 4.0,
>> you could have 4GB for a FAT16 partition, but that is absolutely end of
>> the line.
> And MS had already implemented FAT32 to get around the 2GB volume size
> limit, as hard drives increased in size and using FAT16 meant multiple
> partitions, each with a different drive letter.
>
> While you might be *able* to create a 4GB FAT16 volume using Windows
> NT 4, I can't imagine why you would *want* to.
NT4.0 was released before FAT32 was officially released (with Windows
95B). And it is quite useful for any work that reads/writes large chunks
of data at once, like video stuff for example. Or SQL server. It is
certainly not recommended for a default OS partition, but for
specialized cases, it outperforms "any" other filesystem, in both read
and write speed...
As the majority of use cases, with the rapid growth of hard disks,
doesn't have any such advantage, NTFS became the FS of choice for
anything from Windows 2000 on, only Windows 98 and the bad excuse of an
OS named Windows ME still had to use FAT32 to allow access to larger
drives/partitions.

>> There never was (or can be) an OS that creates 8GB FAT16
>> partitions. And I am pretty sure that Wikipedia doesn't say anything to
>> the contrary either...
> It does not.

Dale seem to think so, maybe he has an older edition... ;-)

Ralf

---