from Rugxulo:

> "Light-weight"? First of all, Linux (and similarly Windows and Mac)
> don't target older machines. To them, an old machine is i686 with 256
> MB of RAM, and even that is "too old" for most distros. The bare
> minimum (for now) seems to be a Pentium 4, and that won't be supported
> forever. I assume most developers want to go "AMD64 only", if they can
> get away with it.

> Flash is almost dead (AFAIK). I don't think it's even officially
> supported at all except for P4s (SSE2) on Chrome's Pepper API
> (although IE has most of it built-in as well, I think?). Firefox has
> to use an older version. They might have even said they'll abandon it
> entirely in a few years. The biggest problem is that it sucks up
> battery life and is proprietary and buggy. Distros like GNU's Trisquel
> (free/libre Ubuntu LTS variant) have Gnash which partially works
> (YouTube is the obvious test case), but I don't know how reliable it
> is overall (can't test everything!).

There are some Linux distros for older computers, and NetBSD and FreeBSD can be
installed on older computers.

But building packages or the system from source is likely to be prohibitively
slow on older machines.

Flash is still painfully prevalent, see

www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com : just a background and nothing more
laguanajuatoky.com : partially viewable without Flash, but it's a nuisance;
southwestfarmersmarket.com : very limited viewability without Flash

But there are some websites where lack of Flash support only stops junk
advertising from showing.

Tom