On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
>> There is a pervasive bias against anything that isn't "Windows, OS X,
>> or Linux", and those (at least in modern, supported versions) don't
>> target legacy machines (esp. nothing older than a P4). The trend seems
>> to be to eventually obsolete i686 entirely in lieu of AMD64 (and ARMv7
>> or even AArch64 [ARMv8?] or whatnot).
>
> And why *should* they target legacy machines?  Exactly how long is
> something supposed to be supported?
>
> Hardware is steadily smaller, faster, and cheaper.  Have fun finding a
> new x86 machine these days that *isn't* 64 bit.  ARM is still largely
> 32 bit, but that's changing too, and we're likely to see 64 bit ARM in
> server installations for power savings.

There are still new 32-bit x86 parts being manufactured, notably by
Intel for IoT in their Intel Edison/Quark/Galileo platform(s)
[0][1][2] and DM&P's 86duino platform [3].  The 86duino even boots
FreeDOS.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quark
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Edison
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Galileo