On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The point I'm trying to make is that it's pointless to pretend that
> all web browsers (and OSes and cpus) are created equal. Most aren't
> supported well, if at all. Even the developers who know how just don't
> care enough.
>
> If you aren't using IE, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, then you're
> probably out of luck with anything more than the bare basics.

Untrue.  What you need is a current HTML and JavaScript engines.

In IE that's Trident.  In Firefox, it's Gecko with IonMonkey.  In
Safari, it's Webkit and V8.  In Chrome and now Opera, it's Blink and
V8.

There are an assortment of browsers based on Qt and Webkit available.
One I'm using is Qupzilla, open source and available for Windows,
Linux, and OS/X (including a portable Windows version.)  See
http://www.qupzilla.com/

Another is QtWeb, which is lighter weight but has issues I'm not sure
will get fixed.  See http://qtweb.net/  Qupzilla has the virtue of
being actively maintained.

Flash isn't going away on the desktop, and is still maintained.  I
just had Firefox Nightly complain I was running an older and possibly
vulnerable version of the plugin and updated.

The principal use case for Flash is streaming video implemented as
Flash objects, and there's still a batch of that around.  As HTML5
becomes prevalent, that will go away (and making it go away and
dispensing with the need to the Flash plugin is a major reason why
people are pushing HTML5.)
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519