In the past I had half a dozen machines with various ESS chipsets which
were (mostly) SB Pro compatible. Under DOS I would run ESSCFG followed by
ESSVOL, and maybe set a BLASTER environment variable (or did the utility
do that itself??? I can't remember) and then it would work. Check this
archive http://www.hyakushiki.net/essdos.zip