The idea of watching network of free agents "'living in their own
dreamworld', subject to different forces of propaganda, economic
constraints, and so on" in which "people in power 'follow their gut'",
is provocative.   Is that feasible and would it help, though?

As Robert points out there are lots of reasons a direct simulation
couldn't be built.  I think if some semblance succeeded in creating
recognizable patterns that people could use to sensitize themselves to
particular types of information, then maybe it would be useful.

One possible case concerns (what seems to me) the approximately one
month long war feaver that led us into Iraq.   That was a time when the
'gut feelings' of people across the country went through a non-linear
dynamic and nearly everone was swept up in the emotional experience.
Bush felt the readyness of the country and went ahead, ultimately based
on the war hysteria he partly helped to produce.   My clear impression
is that we went to war because of a rush of popular feeling that we were
going to have to fight Sadam sooner or later and if it was inevitable we
should just get it out of the way.

It seems to have been an error to trust our gut feelings about that, but
we got worked up and did it anyway.   Potentially complex system theory
could design measures to give people an outside view of these things we
get swept up in.  Maybe it could sense and map those dynamics, say
linking that month to data on all the other war feavers in history.
There's a distinct difference between foresight and hindsight on seeing
the importance of little things, but with good information, might we not
have seen we were acting hysterically in the absence of any threat?

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]