All great suggestions and timely since my library book is due back
tomorrow. I'll add a couple of other suggestions:

The English Patient (Ondaatje)
Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Persig) (not sure if this
counts as fiction)
A Glass Darkly (Philip K Dick)
On the Road (Kerouac)
Unbearable Lightness of Being (Kundera)
Heart of Darkness (Conrad)

and for the Illiad I strongly recommend the audio book with Derek
Jacobi reading the Fagles translation (abridged).

+1 for all Herman Hesse titles mentioned.

Regards,
Saul

On Saturday, October 9, 2010, Alison Jones <alison.jo...@redfish.com> wrote:
> After 10 years of lurking something I can finally comment on.
>
> In no particlular order:
>
> Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
> Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
> Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
> Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
> Sometime a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
> Beloved by Toni Morrison
> Middlemarch by George Eliot
> Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
> To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
> Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
> Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
>

> There are so many more!
> Alison
> (Yeah, I know it is 11. And you are so right Robert (Holmes), I should really
> say Pevear and Volokhonsky's Karenina ☺)
>

> On Oct 8, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Robert J. Cordingley wrote:
>

> Ok, so I've decided my literary education is somewhat lacking and would like
> to know this group's recommendations for the "10 Best Literary Works" I
> should read.  They have to be works of fiction and available in English and
> not just say of 2009 but of all time.  Google searches tend to list the best
> of a year or be listed by one particular publisher.   This is a good group to
> poll since you all (most) have at least some kind of scientific/technical
> bent.  So I know the suggestions will be good ones for me!
>
> Once I have a list of all suggestions maybe I'll ask you all to vote on them.
>
> My list currently starts with Frank's recommendation today:
>
>    "Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West" by Cormac McCarthy
>
> Thanks!
> Robert C.

Saul Caganoff
Enterprise IT Architect