Stephen -

Good points all. Most of us went off on a "my favorite reads" jag with only a minor interest in whether it was "Literature" by any nominal or not-so-nominal standard.

It doesn't surprise me that most of us have a collective double-standard. In our own fields of study/expertise we take offense when others don't consult or reference the studied origins of the field, and yet when we wander out of our field, we think that we can make it up as we go along. Like the NewAge (rhymes with SewAge) of the 80's where everything was Laser this and Quantum that... with hardly a clue what any of it meant.

Robert's request *did* suggest that he was interested in his "literary education" and I think your response is much more ... "responsive" than the rest of our interjections.

Though I do have to say I enjoy hearing the clamor of everyone's favorites (not to mention shouting my own out and dissing others' without regard to any semblance of decorum).

Carry on,

- Steve

 Most of you are PhDs and respond to inquiries from the
non-science type to aspects of your field(s).  So how about asking
a college in the English Lit or World Lit department?

Robert, you mentioned you are going to improve your literary
education, so the works will generally be older because those
have had an effect on the development of literature.  The works
should provide some understanding of the development of the
field as well as being entertaining, insightful, etc.

To make a musical analogy, I thoroughly enjoy Bach Fugues but
if I wish to understand the musical form of the fugue, I also need to
listen to Medieval and Renaissance forms that lead up to it
(the ricercar, fantasy, etc)

Think of the field as having a core trunk and then many branches
at the top. It sounds like you are asking about the 'trunk' of the field.

So maybe you need 10 books to represent the trunk of the literary
tree and then afterward pick 3-5 more works for each branch to
cover the last 150 - 200 hundred years.

Steph T