"... to standardize things across email clients (e.g. the quotation prefix and
"quote" line, plain text vs. html, character encodings)?"

My favorite is that Outlook's re-encoding of :-) shows up as the letter J.
That kind of defeats the original purpose of text art -- that it is portable
across clients.  I heard the latest version of Emacs now supports Webkit HTML.
For me, quoting sanity went to hell when I stopped using Emacs for my mail
program.   Well now Emacs does HTML, but I have been hijacked by the calendar
capability in Outlook.   Obviously I wouldn't want to lose the ability to have
other people schedule my day.

Marcius