It’s a good point/counterpinet, Pieter.

I don’t want to stand against using new tools to relieve a scarcity constraint,
and surely education has been a severe one.

I have what appears to be an enormous suspicion of a bait and switch, in which
suddenly we find ourselves in a world where simultaneously:

1. Sal Khan and Daphne Koller own everything, and nobody else owns anything;
and

2. People have no skills (say I, as I use the scary-good google translate to
take enormous pressure, though less shame, off me for not learning a language I
should have learned by now).

Or, as a popular bumper sticker in Santa Fe used to say post-2016: Where are we
going?  And what am I doing in this handbasket?

I should mention, on this point, that part of my cast of mind was shaped by an
article I read some time ago in some education chronicle, about how the
command-and-control interface to the computer was taking up more and more space
in classrooms, and kids were starting to show severe systematic deficits in
particular areas.  They could command anything they wanted into existence on
the computer, and failed to learn that the rest of the world of people doesn’t
work that way.  Negotiating skills were mentioned in the article.  My
description of a dystopian non-education was meant to suggest that for several
students to have to hear exactly the same thing would require them to come to
terms with the fact that it will fit them differently, and they should become
used to handling that too.

It is interesting that I could never use a chatbot as a first stage of writing
something, as the optimistic chatbots suggest everybody will do, and which I
can believe for some people will be a good fit.  For me, I can’t even take
looking at a page of my own writing when I am in a tangle, as a start to
getting out of it.  All that pre-formed text is in the way of whatever part of
my brain tries to bring into focus what I should do next.  I know that chatbots
and writing is not your point about education, and don’t mean to derail those
points; the chatbots-and-journalism theme was one of the things from the
original thread that put me onto the education sidetrack.  What (at least in my
imagination) they have in common is that there are certain mental operations
that I only do when I have “space”, and many of these tools seem designed to
make sure nobody ever has to leave any “space” unfilled by some external
stimulus, ever again.  I worry about it as a development-weakening prosthetic,
though I understand that the argument for that would need to be made case by
case, versus the likely (and I believe you, in many cases demonstrated)
economies and advantages of personalization.

Fortunately, I am neither designing anything nor voting on anything just now,
so there is no danger I will hold anybody else back who is trying to make
something work.

Eric