Wanted to say thank you for this.

I don’t know that I find Dresser’s psychologizing of Chomsky persuasive at all.
 But it’s nice that what leaks through the general history is Chomsky’s
commitment as an operator.

I liked that they had the little video clip in there.  What comes through (to
me, so bright that it quenches out everything else) is the one constant of
Chomsky, across his history and in all the modes of his activity: the
superciliousness, and the attitude of Olympian contempt he puts on, at all
times, standing in judgment of everyone and everything.

The way Dresser doesn’t roll over to Chomsky’s assertion of absolute
domination, in the main text, was kind of a relief, though his blithe dismissal
of Chomsky’s having had any substantive reason for being an influencer looked
like trouble.  The comments — surprisingly content-rich — unpack that trouble,
but even there the exchange is interesting.  The defenders say Dresser misses
the point of the syntactic work and mis-represents by taking things out of
context (I think probably true), and then Dresser answers by providing explicit
statements that are hard to understand as being any less ridiculous than he
claims, since they are asserted with characteristic Chomskian authoritarianism.
 What I take this for is evidence of what I see as the major pattern: Chomsky’s
writing is as close to Newspeak as we probably have in something that is
glossed by some as a science (and that, in a good world, could be, and is
trying to become, more of a science).  His writing, over the decades and lots
of books (here referring to the linguistics) has essentially no stable
constructive assertions, yet at every point the delivery is “This is what I say
and this is what I have always said.”

(Not that Dresser comes out of this looking like any much-better character.
Claiming he isn’t out to write a hit-piece on Chomsky’s intellectual
contributions, while transparently wanting mainly to do that, and then at the
end saying how grateful he is for Chomsky’s activism, rings pretty
disingenuous.  I am also struck because to me the style of The Man is
recognizably the same in both.  But enough on Dresser.  He will be forgotten by
tomorrow, so one can just comment on the content of the writing.)

I don’t know where Chomsky ranks in the guruness indices.  But he is a case
study in the patterns of meme-authoritarianism.  A vast discourse of negative
statements, which (seen in many people I have to deal with) seem to have only
the goal of denying something specific somebody else is trying to say or to do,
accompanied by shifting, or shifty, assertive-sounding statements, but ones
that turn out to be slippery enough that you are never permitted to attach a
meaning to them and decide for yourself whether they are valid or not.  Any
judgment you pass against the constructive-sounding statements can always be
parried by an accusation that you are too low a life-form to have understood
the wisdom they encode.  Johnny Yune did this nicely in the ancient camp-movie
They Call me Bruce (maybe the sequel), in the line “You are not ready for the
tech-a-niques of the master.)

Not sure why I feel compelled to compose typologies of the styles of shiftiness
in the world.  The impulse to see some fingerprints that occur repeatedly seems
to scratch some itch.

Eric

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam