Corentin de Chatelperron and Caroline Pultz tried to live for 120 days in the
Mexican desert self sufficiently, growing their own food. Using their own
desalination machines they generated fresh water for the plants and themselves
https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/110239-000-A/the-biosphere-experiment/Biosphere 2
near Tuscon was a similar, even more extreme experiment to create a
self-sustaining ecosystem. The experiment was considered a failure and the
whole center belongs now to the University of
Arizona.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2Both experiments showed how
difficult it is to support human life in a closed, self-sustaining environment.
Do you think self-sustained life on Moon or Mars is possible? Or as the book "A
City on Mars" asks "Can we settle space, should we settle space, and have we
really thought this through?"
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/dec/14/a-city-on-mars-by-kelly-and-zach-weinersmith-review-one-way-ticket-to-muskow-anyone-J.
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam