I was arguing with that same friend yesterday at the pub. I was trying to describe how
some of us have more cognitive power than others (he's one of them). Part of it is
"free" power, freed up by his upper middle class white good diet privilege. But
if we allow that some of it might be genetic, then that's a starting point for deciding
when novelty matters to the ephemerides of two otherwise analogical individuals (or
projects if projects have an analog to genetics). Such things are well-described in twin
studies. One twin suffers some PTSD the other doesn't and ... boom ... their otherwise
lack of uniqueness blossoms into uniqueness.

His objection was that even identical twins are not identical. They were
already unique ... like the Pauli Exclusion Principle or somesuch nonsense.
Even though it's a bit of a ridiculous argument, I could apply it to your sense
of avoiding non-novel attractors. No 2 attractors will be identical. And no 1
attractor will be unique. So those are moot issues. Distinctions without
differences, maybe. Woit's rants are legendary. But some of us find happiness
in wasteful sophistry.

What matters is *how* things are the same and how they differ. Their qualities
and values (nearly) orthogonal to novelty.