On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 02:47:24PM -0600, Jaimos Skriletz wrote:
> > ​​
>
> Thanks!  It looks really good.  We can remove the Changelog section; people
> can look at the release descriptions and/or Git history from now on.
> Maintaining this is a doubling of effort for absolutely no reason.

​The ChangeLog page is just links to the files on GitHub so there is no
maintenance on the page. Could be removed, I just thought it would be nice
to have links easily found on fvwm.org for them.
​

> In terms of the FAQ, have you (for now) just copied that from
> $FVWM.GIT/docs/
> ?  If so, I can remove that file from the FVWM repo and make the one in
> fvwmorg.gh.io the authoritative version (as it should be).  Same goes for
> removing other files from the FVWM repo too, but that's a different
> concern.

No, the FAQ is a html dump (save as) from the old fvwm.org page as it was a
copy of that file with linked anchors in it. The FAQ needs to be converted
into a markdown file (complete with anchored links). Then I will create a
simple wrapper to wrap the markdown file into the webpage. I would keep the
FAQ around in $FVWM.GIT/docs/ until then.

Also I am unsure if these various markdown files, FAQ.md, AUTHORS.md,
DEVELOPERS.md, etc should be located and maintained on the webpage or
in $FVWM.GIT source. I think either can work with git.io so it is probably
a matter of preference. But agreed, these markdown files should all be
collected and maintained in a single place.

> > I am working on a 'Config' section for the site to include examples of
> > decors, icons, sounds and vector buttons (many adapted from fvwm-themes).
> > But this is gonna take a while as I play with the different decors.
>
> Maybe.  It might be easier to just direct people towards things like
> Fvwm-{Crystal,Nightshade}.  The icons/sounds/etc., can just be forgotten
> about.  They're so old, it's not even funny, and if someone *really* wants
> those, shove them on the wiki.

​Agreed on the age of the resources. It may be that fvwm.org doesn't
provide any actual resources for configs and just points to other sites and
what I have been collecting can be put elsewhere. My vision wasn't to be a
full
configuration like Crystal or Nightshade, but provide configuration
examples complete with any resources needed (images, etc). ​My rough idea
was to include

   - A simple/minimal "default" config.
   - Examples of various config snippets for things such as Vector
   Buttons, Window Decors, Menus, Modules, etc. (This was kinda attempted on
   the current fvwm.org page).

I think the actual question is should fvwm.org provide any resources for
configurations like above, or should it only link to other sites? This is
also not something I was planning on including in the initial transition of
moving the site to git.io, but was something I was thinking of developing
and adding if there was interest to have a collection of config snippets on
fvwm.org. If not I will look into updating the wiki (though I am liking
jekyll over ikiwiki for building static pages).

> > I also think adding some feature to the buttons on the page would be
> nice,
> > but not sure what sort of silly feature (maybe some js/css magic) would
> be
> > good to add to the site.
>
> Maximizing of the div, perhaps?
>
> > Anyways, those are some ideas but as of now the above links give a
> > recreation of fvwm.org using a static site (with some redesigning). Any
> > input is appreciated.
>
> Thanks for this, Jaimos.  One question:  how would we handle adding new
> screenshots?  There's a script which runs to generate some HTML.  I presume
> this is manual at the moment?

​Currently it is a script which needs to be run manually (same for the man
pages, and that script is in worse shape, has hard links to files in my
$HOME). Once the site is on git.io I was thinking of looking into what sort
of hooks there are to generate stuff during the generation. Its current
state is just to be static for the move.
​
My hope is I got the site to a place that it can be transferred over to
git.io as a static page. Most of the above are things that can be resolved
after the transfer. This also includes adding any new content/features to
the site.

​jaimos​