Thank you for your suggestion, Dominik:

> For the time being you can circumvent the problem by removing the whole
>
>                 if (
>                         FCheckIfEvent(
>                                 dpy, &dummy, test_withdraw_request,
>                                 (XPointer)&args)) {
>                 }
>
> from HandleMapRequestKeepRaised.

I found this piece of code (part of HandleMapRequestKeepRaised) in the
released Fvwm 2.6.7 sources in the file

   fvwm-2.6.7/fvwm/events.c

spanning from line 3078 to 3123. I deactivated it by means of

   #if 0
   #endif

what resulted in the following three warnings during compilation:
  CC       events.o
events.c: In function ‘HandleMapRequestKeepRaised’:
events.c:3073:10: warning: unused variable ‘dummy’ [-Wunused-variable]
   XEvent dummy;
          ^
events.c:3072:23: warning: variable ‘args’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
   check_if_event_args args;
                       ^
events.c: At top level:
events.c:253:13: warning: ‘test_withdraw_request’ defined but not used
[-Wunused-function]
 static Bool test_withdraw_request(
             ^

But make completed successfully

Unfortunately, this seems not to have any influence to our issue. After
installing the modified binaries, Vmware still shows the old behavior:
Returning from fullscreen mode yields a vanished window. This applies
to Player 6.0.6 and Workstation 9.0.4.

Did I throw out the right piece of code?

Juergen