Thanks. I used to use the LD_PRELOAD hack, but it stopped working
under Fedora 22.

Meanwhile I got a very ugly and hackish workaround by adding the
following code to decorations.c in fvwm. Actually this hack just
illustrates that the "style matching" fails, but that it is possible
to get fvwm to override the requested settings:

        // Ugly work around to force border width and
        // title on some gnome applications.
        if (strcmp(t->name.name,"Image Viewer")==0   // eog
            || strcmp(t->name.name,"Recent Documents")==0  // evince
            || strcmp(t->name.name,"Home") == 0 // nautilus
            || strcmp(t->name.name,"gThumb") == 0 // gthumb
            //            || strcmp(t->name.name,"New Tab - Google
Chrome") == 0 // google chrome
            )
          {
            used_width = 5;