Hi Tom,

Technically, you may be able to do some development on Windows, but ultimately,
you'd still need a Mac and Xcode for the final compilation and submission to
the App Store.

I also have some doubts on the accessibility of apps developed with Mono, but
that is merely speculation on my part. Just about all of these third-party
development tools…really for most platforms…end up making inaccessible software.

Speaking from experience, you're going to end up with more headaches trying to
make a platform conform to your habits, than to adapt your habits to the
platforms you're developing for…and that goes for development in either
direction. .net isn't designed for Mac, any more than Cocoa is designed for
Windows. It's best to learn and work within the differences of various
platforms, IMO. You'll spend less time in the long run learning each platform's
differences, than trying to get, what are essentially hacks, working the way
you want.

Marco Arment, an iOS developer for whom I have the utmost respect, talked about
this a few months ago in terms of web site development. (Marco was the main
developer for Tumblr in its first several years). He spoke about how so many
people will spend days, weeks, even months, trying to install themes and
plugins for WordPress or Drupal or some of these other CMS packages out there,
spend time hacking the code or writing their own plugins, etc etc…just because
it is their comfort zone. That doesn't count time that will be lost when,
inevitably, plugins or themes they are using break when the cores of those
packages are updated. In reality, they could've made their own custom CMS that
was exactly tailored to their needs and fully under their control in far less
time.

This particularly hit home to me recently, when I decided to heed his advice
and built the CMS for the new Draconis site, (whose launch is immanent by the
way), from scratch. It was a daunting idea to start with, but in the end,
didn't take all that long to do…and certainly far less than if I'd stuck with
our old WordPress-based system.

Just my two cents.