Well it depends upon which orphius voice. the default synthetic ones are pretty electronic (although I prefer their british accent to eloquence), however the human voices alan and carrol are considderably different and sound much better.

All the best,

Dark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh" <joshknnd1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] New games for windows not being produced any more?

I think espeak sounds a bit like orpheus or keynote gold.

using windows7 laptop

On 3/7/2014 2:04 PM, dark wrote:
Hi Tom.

I do understand both the responsiveness and dictionary points sinse both are reasons I used to like the human voices from orphius although annoyingly it's had a nasty habbit of crashing on me recently so I've switched to vocalizer full time. At least with the later versions of Supernova I've not noticed any responsivess issues, though whether this is due to sn or vocalizer or both I'm not sure. I do however fully well agree vocalizers abreviations are a pain in the kneck, especially when playing rpgs and muds like alteraeon, being told I have 100 horse power and 60 street instead of 100 Hp and 50 staminer is quite irritating.

I also used to like Orphius for the fact that it's ability to pronounce various fantasy names was pretty good, it even got names like theoden correct. Vocalizer isn't bad and I'm getting a bit more used to it as I play fantasy games, but occasionally when it says something like pronouncing the mad stuard of Minas Tirith's name in Lotr as den netha, or Frodo as frodd dough I still do miss Orphius.

For me, one major turn off of Eloquence is the sound of it's attempt at British English. I do prefer a British synth sinse obviously when I'm writing anything of my own I want it to sound reasonable with the gramar I use, just as I suspect you would prefer an American one for the same reason, however Eloquence british english is rather horrible, it gets vowels wrong and ends words in a very unnatural way.

I agree all of this is pretty much down to personal preference.