On Monday 07 May 2007, Stephen Brickles using shaun wrote:
> >> <snip> maybe the ability to use the file formats of some
> >> of the comercial eda tools?
>
> I haven't heard anyone mentioning "OpenAccess" on this forum
> yet... How about an OpenAccess module for gEDA ?  The ability
> to open Cadence schematics from GSchem - yet still use the
> Cadence/OpenAccess database. Imagine begin able to view a
> schematic in Cadence Composer that you just modified in
> GSchem !!  That would get people using parts of gEDA if
> nothing else since the Cadence schematic editor is not the
> world's best...

It has been mentioned.

One big problem:

> Of course you'd have to reconcile the licensing agreements of
> Si2 (keepers of the OpenAccess code) versus the GPL...

Their license is deliberately incompatible with GPL.  Very
incompatible.

The bit about compatibility of file formats is one reason why I
brought up VHDL, the structural subset, a while back.  Verilog
would work too, but require a hack to work around the missing
entity/architecture feature.  Unfortunately, most people here
don't understand the problem, don't follow leading developments
in EDA, and don't see where they are looking to us to lead.

If the use of "OpenAccess" is through a stand alone translator,
licensing becomes a non-issue.  Just release the translator
under a license they approve and don't worry about anything
else.

There are technical issues too, but if somebody wants to write
the translator I won't complain.