Hi Russel,

Am Mi den 16. Nov 2016 um 11:40 schrieb Russel Winder:
> Geeqie currently has an Autotools build. A lot of the GTK world seems
> to be switching to Meson, or at least trying it out. JetBrains CLion
> only accepts CMake builds for projects (at least currently). Is the
> Geeqie team committed to using Autotools, or if an alternate build were
> available might it be accepted?

Well, let me tell it that way, the build tool is not set in stone.
But...

I see no need currently to even think about a new build tool.
Autoconf/automake serves what it is used for and it does it good. It
would take many work to change to other one.

- From the fact that the man power is very limited, this is a big NO.

On the other hand, I never heard of meson. Nor do I know (without
duckduckgoing) what "JetBrais CLion" is. IF there would be a need for
other build tool, I would more vote for something widely used (ok, cmake
is not that seldom). In the end, the chances would be pretty high that I
would end with automake/autoconf again when sorting the pro and cons.

So, for a new project, that would be something to think about. For a
existing project, there has to be a pretty good reason to switch the
build environment to something other with new bugs and new
inadequateness.

Am Do den 17. Nov 2016 um  1:57 schrieb Greg Troxel:
> Ian Zimmerman <i...@primate.net> writes:
> > But in the context of geeqie, I'd say don't fix it as long as it's not
> > broken.  If it breaks, we can return to this discussion.
>
> That's a very good point.   geeqie seems to need more people to hack on
> the code, and the build system really isn't a problem at all.

No more to say. That is the most valid point here.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                                       http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C