Is there a case for what users will get if we make these changes?  We
should have a good expectation of improving life for our users or something
similarly worthy if we were to undertake the risk of such a project.

The following user effects come to mind, and they aren't overly positive:

- Introduce new bugs (because big rewrites always do)
- Distract for a while from new features (if there are projects to improve
the package)
- Maybe exclude some core developers who just don't have as much fun in C++
as in C

If we're very lucky, we might get new developer interest from folks who
like C++ but were discouraged from contributing in C.  But community is one
of the hardest parts of open source projects, changing the filter on who is
likely to want to contribute is something to do with great trepidation.

(Bias: I do quite like C++.)

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255