Hi,

Am Sa den 24. Dez 2016 um 18:18 schrieb Alexander Antimonov:
> > - Introduce new bugs (because big rewrites always do)
> Sure, but with C++ port we can also simplify code, and less code - less bugs.
> Now considerable part of Geeqie's code is plain C which builds UI.
> It's a rare method of building UI nowadays. It should be replaced with
> something like Glade description.

Well, geeqie does not stop you to do some implementations in c++ (see
the exiv2 interface).

However, there should be someone caring about that parts afterwards.

We had several big changes in the past where the main author wrote it
and kept the bug hunting to others. I can say that I had to fight with
motivation issues due to that. :-(

> > - Maybe exclude some core developers who just don't have as much fun in C++
> > as in C
> It might be a good chance for them to improve their skills a bit.
>
> My 5 cents, I prefer do not use love/hate words when it comes to
> technical things.

I for myself have technical reasons why I dislike C++. And I also have
concerns about maintainability. Many times the encapsulating breaks
necessary overview.

About the UI design. I tried myself once to redo it with glade. However,
I dropped it as it just binds so many resources that I can spend for
better stuff. But I agree, that a more OO design would help for UI
stuff.

Other stuff would not gain any improvement and, worse, loose it.

So, conclusion, if you have something that can be done in C++ and you
want to do it, go ahead. Especially if you stay with the project and
maintain that stuff afterwards. :-)

But just converting existing logic into C++ for no need would not help I
think.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                                       http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C