I agree with the following, i don't think a waiver is needed right now...

> "This is a graduation issue, why can't it just wait
> until then and say in the graduation proposal there's not been a
> release but its not necessary because of x y z."

thanks,
dims

On 11/10/2009 01:49 PM, ant elder wrote:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Greg Stein<gst...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hello IPMC,

The Subversion podling would like a waiver of the requirement to make
a release before graduation.

As we understand this requirement, it is present in order to
demonstrate to the podling how releases are made at the ASF.
Packaging, licensing, signing, placement into the distrubtion/mirror
system, announcements, among others[1]. We believe that the Subversion
community already has a deep understanding of the Apache release
model, based on the following qualifications of several of its
committers/mentors:

* Greg Stein has been a committer at Apache since before the
Foundation was started. He has been involved in releases of httpd and
APR, including time as Release Manager (RM) for APR. He helped to
establish the APR TLP and the Commons TLP (prior incarnation; now
defunct). Greg wrote the versioning guidelines for APR, which are also
in use by the Subversion project. Through his 8+ years on the Board,
he has read and reviewed reports from across the ASF about release,
IP, and infrastructure issues.

* Justin Erenkrantz has been a committer since 2001, contributing to
httpd and APR, along with mentoring the stdcxx project when it was in
the Incubator. He has been the RM for both httpd and APR. In fact,
Justin wrote the initial guidelines for the release of httpd. Justin
has been part of Infrastructure almost since its inception as a
distinct group, which includes the provision of all the facilities to
actually make and distribute ASF releases. Justin has spent many years
on the Board, providing further insight to releases across the
Foundation.

* Sander Striker has been a committer since 2001, contributing to APR
and then httpd. Sander acted as the RM for httpd releases, and also
held a stint as the VP for httpd. Add in his time spent with
Infrastructure and the Board, and he's been observing ASF releases for
many years.

* Garrett Rooney has been a committer since 2004, contributing and
making releases of APR, and committing to httpd. He was also the VP of
APR for several years, and has mentored two Incubating projects.

* Daniel Rall has been a committer since 2001, contributing to many
projects: Turbine, Fulcrum, Torque, and numerous Jakarta Commons
projects. He established the community around XML-RPC, brought it
through the Incubator, and maintained it for several years within the
XML Project. He also participated in some of the bootstrapping around
the Velocity and Maven prtingojects, and participated on the Infra team.

The Subversion community's belief is that we have ample experience to
guide us in making a release, when that time is arrives. There will
certainly be variances (e.g. mirroring) from our current established
procedures[2], but some simple fine-tuning should resolve that. The
bulk of the existing release process already meets and exceeds that a
typical Apache release. Niclas Hedman pointed out that the Subversion
community has produced 32 releases over the past four years, which
hopefully indicates a smooth, understood, and functional release
process.

Cheers,
-g

[1] one particular item is using a release as a gating/focal point for
legal review, but we feel that can be performed as an action
separate/distinct from performing a release
[2] http://subversion.tigris.org/release-process.html

-0

I'm not at all familiar with how the Subversion project works so as an
IPMC member I don't see how I can decide this before they've even
started incubating. This is a graduation issue, why can't it just wait
until then and say in the graduation proposal there's not been a
release but its not necessary because of x y z.

    ...ant