On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can see two problems with this view to begin with. One is IP
> management. The more people participate in a project and the longer
> they do so, the messier it becomes to track provenance and get ICLAs
> from all of the contributors. One almost wishes that the ASF could
> accept ICLAs and code grants for code that is in fact living somewhere
> else. I'm sure someone will tell me why that idea is nuts.

Well, if the code is living somewhere else, that means the code in ASF
would be taking up space for possibly no good reason, as people might
more habitually go to where the code is living.

On the other hand, the ASF could theoretically act as a last line of
defense against system failure, community dissolution,
sociopolitically-motivated bogus forking, etc., in that if all else
fails people can go to Apache to get a stable release of something.

I'm sorry...was that a rhetorical question?

Don