On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Noel J. Bergman <n...@devtech.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We are, however, recognizing that we've had growth issues of our own.  As
>>> David Crossley pointed out, he made mistakes last month related to the
>>> Reporting Schedule, and we continue to have issues.  The Incubator is almost
>>> as big as the rest of the ASF combined.  David posted a plot chart
>>> reflecting our growth: http://incubator.apache.org/history/
>>
>> Excellent plot chart.  As with most plot charts, the end result is a
>> Rorschach test.  I'll tell you what I (personally) see in this chart:
>> a failure to perform garbage collection.  My personal perspective is
>> that incubation shouldn't generally take more than a year.  That
>> doesn't mean that there won't be exceptions, and in a few rare cases,
>> some that go well beyond that arbitrary time limit, but the point is
>> that those should be the exception rather than the rule.

Sometimes when you turn up the heat and reduce the cooking time, the
pies end up being half baked...

I think that it should be possible to reduce mean graduation time for
main sequence podlings by tuning the process but worry about moving
away from graduation by acclamation and consensus towards a contested
system. I think this will happen if we just reduce time and increase
the pressure.

> Now that time is freeing up a tiny bit, I need to document a thread
> from August that would put pressure on projects who haven't done their
> IP handling. I'm less worried about a podling who haven't graduated
> after 12 months and more worried about a podling who haven't managed
> to get their CLAs right within 3 months. We still have far too many
> podlings who haven't signed off on that (first) part of their
> incubation.

+1

Defining a more linear process for main sequence podlings would
probably make sense and focus efforts towards graduation priorities

Robert