Am Sonntag, den 08.03.2009, 00:08 -0800 schrieb Josh Saddler:
> Tiziano Müller wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > With eapis 1 and 2 we introduced nice features but also a couple of new
> > problems. One of them are the use dependencies when the package you
> > depend on doesn't have the use flag anymore (see [1] for an example).
> >
> > So I think it's time for a short eapi bump with some distinct
> > improvements:
> >
> > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPAJXP6shYH78lCXeqRqCUQ
>
> Is there a reason why we should ram through a new EAPI for something
> that *looks* like another "Paludis supports this so let's make it a
> Portage standard" proposal?
Ok, first it's not about paludis,portage,pkgcore,whatever but about the
ebuild-format. Paludis also fails if you have DEPEND="cat/foo[moo]" in
bar-0.1.ebuild but cat/foo doesn't have a "moo" USE flag.

So, please let's focus on the problems we have and try to find a
solution. Please fill in the blanks in the table if you know how portage
has it implemented.

And I used the word "fast" because people start to use use-dependencies
on a larger scale leading to more problems like the one I described in
the example. In fact, you could already say that for git the dep-tree is
broken because newer subversion doesn't carry the "dso" USE flag
anymore.

>  Is there some kind of time deadline here
> that you all want?
Well, 2 weeks discussion and 1 month implementation would be cool.