Hi,

Doug Goldstein <car...@gentoo.org>:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Christian Faulhammer
> <fa...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to collect some things we need to do before Baselayout 2
> > and OpenRC can go stable.  Up to now I have:
> >
> > * eselect 1.1 stable (current RC3) for the support in the rc module
> > * a newer splashutils stable
> > * documentation updates (http://bugs.gentoo.org/213988, thanks
> > Jeremy)
> >
> > What else?  As some of you might foresee, this can be as hard as a
> > major GCC stabilisation, so it must be well-planned and organised.
> >
> > V-Li
> >
> > --
> > Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
> > <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
> >
> > <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
> >

> The only reason why OpenRC has not come up for stabilization by it's
> maintainers is the fact that everytime there's a new version readied
> for release, on the horizon there's new incompatible changes being
> planned for the next version. The OpenRC maintainers in Gentoo have
> always chosen to wait until OpenRC settles down a little bit. Now with
> the plan to drop support for certain features (ADSL and PPP support in
> the networking code), it's going to rewrite more Gentoo people to step
> up to develop and maintain this code.

 After having seen vapier speaking about stabilisation on -core we had
a discussion about the wanted news item, which i posted for review.
Before the "todo" mail, I wrote to the maintainers (Roy and
base-system) some days in advance, with only a reaction from Roy.

> If you're volunteering for this position, Christian, I'll happily step
> down and allow you to maintain this. I would also discuss this with
> zzam and vapier, the other 2 maintainers of OpenRC.

 All I want to do is help with the stabilisation...which I though is
nigh.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>