On Thursday 11 April 2013 11:43:59 James Cloos wrote:
> MF> this should impact very few (if any)
> MF> users, so i don't think a news item makes sense.
>
> It will impact everyone who has /dev/pts in fstab(5).

don't do that.  delete the line.

> I doubt that any say gid=5.
>
> I don't remember why this box has it in fstab; it looks like it always did.
>
> The backup of my (now dead) laptop also has such an entry.  The rcs log
> for that one shows that it got added in late '03, and not manually.

baselayout has not included devpts in /etc/fstab since 26 Nov 2001 and even
then, it was commented out

http://sources.gentoo.org/baselayout/branches/baselayout-1_12/etc/fstab?view=log
http://sources.gentoo.org/baselayout/branches/rc-
scripts-1_6/etc/fstab?view=log

the oldest tag we have is baselayout-1.11.15 (released 22 Apr 2006), and it
doesn't include it.

the oldest tarball i have is baselayout-1.11.8 (released 15 Dec 2004) as
that's when i took over releasing things, and it doesn't include it either.
it hasn't been added since that release.

so i stand by my statement that very few people will be impacted by this.
-mike