Zitat von Gwendolyn van der Linden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > what is the cause of this? just before the kernel panic usb
> > was detected.
> > but what in the process of usb detection causes the system
> > to hang? i have
> > nothing attached on my usb-ports, keyboard & mouse are on PS/2...
>
> What kernel?  What hardware?

i used the gentoo-sources kernel (kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6) with "genkernel",
so i did no additional kernel settings, but as in the doc's stated these
"default"-kernel-settings should be save...

my hardware is a siemens mainboard with a pentium III 866MHz with 256MB of
RAM, a 40GB IBM HD, onboard graphics (intel 810), and onboard sound (AC97),
oboard NIC (intel) that i don't use - i use a realtek PCI-NIC (8139too).
no special hardware at all...

i tried SuSE linux and Debian on this hardware with no problems...

> Do you have ACPI or APM enabled?  ACPI is known to cause problems on
> some system.

actually i don't know at the moment what is enabled or not...,
but as i said, suse linux and debian linux worked, i did not change anything
in the bios settings since then... so the ACPI and/or APM settings are the
same...

> Are you using a kernel config that you know should work for your
> machine?

i did no special kernel settings, just used genkernel with gentoo-sources...

but i am wondering, why is usb-storage and hid hardware detected during
booting???

martin.

> Gwendolyn.

martin