On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:28:12 +0200
"Ing. Martin Gauklitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hi!
>
> now i compiled the kernel manually, nearly with the same kernel
> configs as genkernel used, and now finally my system boots without
> panic!
>
> what i changed in the kernel config (from the 'genkernel'-config):
>
> 1.) i changed JFS support from module to be compiled into kernel
>        => CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
> 2.) i activated the 'automatically mount at boot'-feature of /dev-fs
> support
>        => CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y
>
> that are the only 2 differenced between the kernel-configs (i took
> these changes from the installation doc, from the manual kernel
> configuration)
>
> but actually i don't think that was the problem, that the kernel
> paniced... what do you think?

If you are really running a JFS fs, (1) would be exactly the reason
for the panic.  Whatever fs you are running needs to be builtin rather
than a module.  Gentoo recommends (2), but I ran for years without
selecting this option.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the