On 5/12/05, cfk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Mark:
>
>  I am doing an "emerge <up_to_5_packages_seperated_by_spaces" without the
> -newuse right now on the list in the order "emerge -pv world" gave to me.

This is a good process especially for someone new. If you you can stop
in between the emerges and see what's changed and what the system
does. It shouldn't act differently.

Also, when you finish each group you MUST pay attention to the
etc-update step. don't let this build up or it gets to be too hard to
handle. for now you will not have modified too many files by hand so
it should be relatively painless, but later you want to be very
careful. do not let etc-update change /etc/fstab or any other file
that you've hand modified our you may render your system unusable for
some short period of time.

Anyway, it's mostly about learning Gentoo, summed up sort of like

emerge sync
emerge -pv world (or portions)
etc-update
rc-update

That group of commands will be maybe 90% of what you need to keep the
sysem running cleanly. Go slow for now.

>  I can see there are some -dash_flags on some of the packages, and I dont know
> if I need to be concerned about them right now.

Well, yes and no. Look at them. If they say 'apache' and yo intend to
run the Apache server then maybe they matter. It all depends on what
you're going to use the machine for.

>  Basically, I am questing for additional knowledge. This particular computer
> is just a test computer right now.

Cool. that's a good way to start.

>  For a few years, I have been using Redhat and I thought it would be
> interesting to attempt to understand the installation of Linux a little
> deeper then installing the latest CD distribution.

sounds like me 2 years ago. I run almost nothing but Gentoo now
although we do still have two FC2 machines here at home.

>  I'm not smart enough yet to know what changes to make in the USE variable. I
> think I will emerge these packages and see where the path takes me. It really
> doesnt matter if I do it several times, as I am striving for some additional
> understanding.

Fine. Mostly the flags just make sense just by their names. Getting
them right earlier will save you time but it's not critical for most
operational issues. There is an online page that lists most of the
important global ones:

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

Start there and explore.

>  Again, I appreciate your help.