On Thursday 12 May 2005 09:31, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 5/12/05, cfk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Bringing eth0 up via DHCP
> > ERROR: Problem starting needed services
> > "netmount was not started".
> >
> > I can do a "modprobe 3c95x" and lsmod shows it is loaded. I can then do
> > an "ifconfig eth0 up" and the interface is up (ping www.yahoo.com works).
> >
> > The file /etc/conf.d/net has two uncommented lines:
> > iface_eth0="dhcp"
> > gateway="eth0/10.10.10.1"
>
> rc-update show
> rc-update add net.eth0 default
>
> man rc-update for more info if you require it. netmount could be added
> if necessary. It isn't on my network.

Invoking "rc-update show" indicates net.eth0 is allready set to default.

I think the issue may be the 3c59x module as once it is manually modprobed,
the network comes up just fine.

What might be the proper way to tell a Gentoo installation where the kernel
was compiled with "genkernel" that the network interface needs the module
3c59x to get it going.

Charles