On 5/12/05, cfk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Daniel, Mark and others;
>
>  After adding 3c59x to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, the partition boots
> fine with networking enabled.
>
>  To answer the original question on modules, I just ran "genkernel" and took
> all the defaults as I am new to Gentoo.
>
>  I did then "emerge --sync" followed by "emerge kde" and I still get the
> libtoolize version error. On this one, I am not sure which way to go next,
> perhaps a little more advice ifyou dont mind.
>
>  Things are progressing, some knowledge is seeping into my little brain, and I
> appreciate all the help.
>
> Charles Krinke

Charles,
   I'm glad that you now have networking. That's pretty crucial stuff.

   I want to clarify one thing here. You are now fully booting this
new machine using Gentoo, correct? Grub is installed and you're booted
up to the command line. You have xorg-x11 emerged correctly and are
now attempting to get kde installed?

   My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you're having some sort of
profile problem. do not build kde first, as much as you might like to.
If you stay at the command line and do

emerge sync (note - not 'emerge --sync')
emerge -pv world

then what is it telling you about what's installed on your machine and
what you need to update?

Post the results back, or just work your way through the emerge world
operation BEFORE emerging kde. That's pretty important as you will
likely update your profile and emerge a number of packages that kde
will require anyway.

Cheers,
Mark